Welcome and thank you for considering Aurora Public Schools for your student teaching experience. The Aurora Public Schools is committed to developing professional educators through our district's extensive professional learning opportunities and by hosting student teachers/practicum students from across Colorado and the nation.
The process for students interested in serving as a student teacher/intern in the Aurora Public Schools is as follows:
- The student must complete and submit the appropriate college/university paperwork for student teacher/practicum placements to the appropriate college/university official.
- The college/university will send the complete application for student teaching/practicum placement, including verification of complete or "in progress" Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) background check to the identified school contact for student teaching/practicum placement
- The school contact will arrange an interview with the student, principal and potential cooperating teacher.
Prior to the scheduled interview, the student teacher candidate is expected to complete a brief online APS application for student teaching and the Gallup TeacherInsight online interview.
- After the interview, the school contact will notify the college/university official and APS' Human Resources of the decision to accept or decline the student teacher/practicum student.
- Prior to the start of each semester, Human Resources will verify the completion of the CBI background check process through the Colorado Department of Education's (CDE) website, as well as initiate the Background Information Services (BIS) check process for all student teachers/interns, and issue APS student teacher ID badges.
APS expects all students interested in completing student teaching/practicum placements in the district will complete the CBI background check process prior to beginning their service.